The Circleville Municipal Court
151 East Franklin Street
P.O. Box 128
Circleville, Ohio 43113

General Information Regarding Circleville Civil Division

       You may visit the Civil Division during the office hours of 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M., Monday through Friday. The Civil Division is located in the Circleville Municipal Court, on the second floor. The phone number is 740-474-3171.

       You may file a civil action in this court if the total amount of damages is $15,000.00 or less. The jurisdiction of the Circleville Municipal Court includes all of Pickaway County.

Unlawful Detainer Complaints

       The procedure is as follows:

The landlord must serve adult tenants with a "Notice to Leave the Premises" (3-Day Notice). Notices can be obtained from a legal publishing company or in the Forms section of this website. After the time stated in the notice has passed and the tenants have not vacated the premises, then
An original complaint along with the "Notice to Leave the Premises" that was served on tenants must be filed with adequate copies to serve on all tenants. The first hearing date will be set the day the case is filed with the court. This initial hearing is for the "First Cause of Action" in the case.
Eviction hearings are on Friday.

       The Court cannot offer legal advice or assistance in completing a complaint. Plaintiffs are advised to seek legal counsel.

Eviction Process

       If Judgement is found in favor of the Plaintiff (landlord), a Writ of Restitution" (Court Order for the tenant to vacate the premises) will be granted by the judge. Within ten (10) days after service of the "Writ of Restitution", a physical eviction shall go forward. The Bailiff will notify the Plaintiff (landlord) and the Defendant (tenant) as to the date and time that the Defendant must vacate the premises.

       If the Defendant is unwilling to vacate the premises, it is the responsibility of the attorney, Plaintiff, or agent to arrange for movers to be at the eviction site on the date and time specified by the Court. The bailiff does not make such arrangements, handle keys or monies, or direct any party to a specific moving company.

       Any money judgement requested by the Plaintiff for back rent or property damages owed by the defendant is referred to as the "Second Cause of Action" in the case.

       If the Defendant disputes the amount of monies requested by the Plaintiff for the "Second Cause of Action", an Answer to the Complaint must be filed in writing within twenty-eight (28) days of receipt of the summons by the Plaintiff and then with the Court within three (3) days after service on the Plaintiff.

       If the Defendant fails to Answer the "Second Cause of Action" of the Complaint within twenty-eight (28) days, the Plaintiff may file for a "Default Judgement" for the requested amount.

Security Deposits

       After a tenant moves out, the landlord subtracts from the deposit any past due rent and the cost of tenant-caused damages. The landlord then must return the balance, with an itemized list of subtractions to the tenant within 30 days of the termination of the lease.

       When the tenant provides the landlord in writing with a forwarding address and a security deposit is wrongly withheld, the tenant may recover double the amount due and reasonable attorney fees.